Seven Times Jesus Accepted Worship
Introduction: We are to worship God. Jesus is the Mediator (1 Tim.2). Numerous passages show that Jesus never corrected anyone who worshiped Him. Peter (Acts 10:25), Paul (Acts 14), & an angel refused worship (Rev. 19:10). The worship of angels requires deception (Col. 2:18).
When was Jesus worshiped? The Wise Men who came from the East, probably Babylon, intended to “worship” the King of the Jews. The Scriptures show what they meant by worship. 1) Great joy at seeing the star & finding where baby Jesus was, 2) fell down & worshiped Him, 3) opening their treasures, they offered unto Him gifts, gold, frankincense, & myrrh, 4) their actions indicated they were God-fearing men (Matt. 2:12). They protected Baby Jesus by having no more contact with Herod the Great.
1. After the Sermon on the Mount, a leper came to Jesus (Matt. 8:1-2; cp. Mk. 1:40-44; Lk. 5:12-14). He fell to worship Jesus. Jesus accepted what he did.
2. Jairus came & worshiped Jesus (Matt. 9:18; cp. Mk. 5:22-43; Lk. 8:41-56).
3. Legion of Demons worshiped Him (Mk. 5:6). They were defiant of Him (come out), afraid of Him (torment me before the time), but they bowed down to him (NASB).
4. Apostles worshiped Jesus after He walked on the water & stilled the storm (Matt. 14:33; Mk. 6:51 “sore amazed in themselves”; Jn. 6:20-21, “I am. Be not afraid.”).
5. Blind man worshiped Jesus after Jesus identified Himself as the Son of Man (Jn. 9:38).
6. Syro-Phoenican woman came & worshiped Jesus (Matt. 15:25).
7. After the resurrection, the apostles fell before the feet of Jesus & worshiped Him (Matt. 28:9, 17; Lk. 24:52). After Jesus ascended into Heaven, the apostles worshiped Him, even though they did not see Him.
Conclusion: Satan asked Jesus to worship him (Matt. 4:9). On Judgment Day according to Isaiah 45:22-23 & Phil 2:9-11, everyone will fall in worship before Jesus.